Community

Community

TPC-C: Full Disclosure

(Brian Moran) The Transaction Processing Performance Council’s (TPC’s) TPC-C benchmark is the most common way of comparing performance in the database space—and a favorite tool in vendor marketing wars. You might find publicized TPC-C scores valuable in evaluating and enhancing your database environ

Community

Using SQL Server’s XML Support

(Ken Henderson) SQL Server is an XML-enabled DBMS, which can read and write XML data, return data from databases in XML format, and read and update data stored in XML documents. In fact, SQL Server has eight different ways to use XML. Learn how each of them works, and how they interoperate.

Community

Document-Centric .NET

(Eric Gropp) The principle “program to an interface, not an implementation” helps control the complexity and enhance the flexibility of systems. XML interfaces are a natural extension of this principle that bring a number of new benefits in terms of flexibility, reusability, simplified code, and rea

Community

Managing Web Services

(Mike Lehmann) If you think the term Web services is loosely defined in the industry, try looking for a clear definition of Web services management. Some think it is as simple as Web service configuration, monitoring, auditing, and logging. Others speak more abstractly, using terms such as service v

Community

Coping with Challenging Documents

(Bernard Chester) For document life-cycle management, greener pastures are on the horizon. If you’ve read my past DB2 Magazine columns, you know I’m a fan of DB2 Content Manager v.8 for its rich, flexible, and extensible data model. The standard out-of-the-box version, though, doesn’t begin to ex

Community

Do You Know MySQL?

(Brian Moran) I’m undertaking a research project. I want to understand the effects that MySQL and other open-source databases are having and might have in the future on the mainstream database market–SQL Server in particular. I’ve been cynical about the idea that MySQL can aggressively compete with