Community

Community

UML For W3C XML Schema Design

by Will Provost – Even with the clear advantages it offers over the fast-receding DTD grammar, W3C XML Schema (WXS) cannot be praised for its concision. Indeed, in discussions of XML vocabulary design, the DTD notation is often thrown up on a whiteboard solely for its ability to quickly and complete

Community

Descan Your Network

A SMALL COMPANY is about to go live with a big idea that you can greatly benefit from. The company is Descan.net, and the idea is to identify and halt the “script kiddies” who are infiltrating and subsequently attacking our computer networks.An example of the kind of attack I’m talkin

Community

Get a random sample of rows

By Carl Federl – There are occasions when a random sample of a query’s rows are needed. A simple but non-functioning solution is to include the system random number generator function within the query. Unfortunately, a single random number is generated for the query when what is desired is a random

Community

Metadata API in Oracle 9i

By Srinivas Chittimalla – It is quite difficult to get metadata out of Oracle 8i and earlier versions.<br><br>However, in Oracle 9i, a new package was introduced: DBMS_METADATA. It allows users to get metadata information about any object (tables, indexes, procedures, etc) from a data dictionary wit

Community

Oracle Goes XML

By Timothy Dyck – Oracle Corp. is the first among the big relational database vendors to make major changes to its database in response to XML, shaking up the generally overpriced and underperforming native XML database market something fierce but having a lesser effect on current Oracle database si