Numbers move people.
Career Management Series
By Laura Lee Rose
Hello, this is Laura Lee Rose – author of TimePeace: Making peace with time – and I am a business and efficiency coach that specializes in time management, project management and work-life balance strategies. I help busy professionals and entrepreneurs create effective systems so that they can comfortably delegate to others, be more profitable and have time to enjoy life even if they don’t have time to learn new technology or train their staff. I have a knack for taking big ideas and converting them into smart, sound, and actionable ideas.
At the end of the day, I transform the way you run your business into a business you love to run.
Today’s take-away is that Numbers Move People.
If you need a way to move coworkers, clients, managers, family members or even yourself toward action, consider adding a number to your conversation.
Numbers help people move toward a decision and action. Whether it’s a calendar date, a meeting time, a price for service or product, salary, or even that pesky number on the bathroom scale; numbers move people into action.
Consider the number ZERO – as in A Complimentary or Free eBook, White Paper, or other offer. That Zero Cost item attracts many people to share their contact information with you.
Numbers are our friends:
Ways to influence others with number come in many forms.
· You can assign time limits to performance issues, product deliverables, customer review/approval processes.
· You can make a recurring calendar date with your manager for weekly one-on-ones.
· You can devise quality metrics to verify your performance, your service, and your products.
· You can improve company and product exposure by increasing your social media metrics and website click-through.
· You can time yourself on certain tasks, to enable you to better estimate and schedule certain activities.
· You can continually increase your work-out repetitions to improve your stamina.
· You can chart your weight and measurements to show progress toward your health and fitness goals.
· You can count your calories and glasses of water.
· and more.
How to make the numbers to work for you
Whether you are in the corporate environment or starting your own business, you need to understand your numbers.
If you are in business for yourself, you need to understand:
· Your revenue goals (how much you want to make this year)
· Your leads to sales ratio (how many people you need to meet/talk with – to make 1 sale)
· How many sales you need to make your revenue goals
· How many leads you need to create to make those sales…
· And the list goes on
Staff or employee
If you are in the corporate world, you need to understand:
· Performance Evaluation ratings
· The performance rating you want to achieve
· The items and quality metrics required to achieve that performance rating
· What is required to achieve bonuses and additional compensation…
· The dates and delivery schedules for your work assets
· The raise/salary you want to achieve
· The number of hours you want to devote to work, family, community and self
Making numbers work for clients
If you are working with clients, and they are on the fence on something; find a way to add a number to the conversation.
Some examples could be:
· Additional discounts or promotional offers tend to help move clients down the buyers journey.
· Putting a deadline on an offer adds a sense of urgency to the decision.
· Requesting clients to review/approve by a certain date moves the project along and enables you to make your delivery dates.
· Assuring that you will follow-up in 2 days in order to answer any additional questions – keeps your product and service on their radars.
· Having a SLA of always responding to any support issue within 2 business days – sets the proper customer service expectations.
These are just a few ways numbers can influence us and keep us moving forward.
For additional information on how to use numbers to your advantage, please contact LauraRose@RoseCoaching.info
I am a business coach and this is what I do professionally. It’s easy to sign up for a complementary one-on-one coaching call, just use this link https://www.timetrade.com/book/WFSFQ